Solidify / Boolean
This map topology effect is inspired by
I watch part of a C4D tutorial on how it could have been made (splines were used). The tutorial was very long. Took me a fraction of the time to do this with a couple of modifiers in Blender. I never finished the tutorial so there’s probably much to be gotten from it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhRRxsh7lkQ
1. planes are stacked on top of each, .05 units between them.
2. Solidify mod is applied to each with a thinkness of .05 units.
3. above that mod is another Boolean mod that intersects each plane with the noise object.
– the noise object is a subdivided plane. (higher the res, smoother the topography lines) It’s extruded for depth and a noise texture in a Displace mod is applied to it.
4. The noise object is animated moving through the stacked planes (text).